Monday, October 26, 2009

Short Distance

I looked out ahead of me,
a long long way to go,
the water was all I could see,
as the energy in me began to flow.
He asked me if I could swim it all,
"It's quite easy," I said, "I should.",
he smiled and went ahead,
while I watched as I stood.

I took a deep breath and went under,
the water cold as it pierced my sides,
putting my arms out far ahead,
as I felt like a whale that glides.
Slowly I built up pace knowing
that I was feeling breathless,
I was beginning to realise that
my decision had been reckless.

Then as I was just feet away,
I was fighting against it,
as garbled shouts for help,
were forcing me to quit.
My lungs were filling with water,
every second now seemed like the last,
but I could hear them screaming out loud,
shouting out advice, sounding aghast.

Then hands caught hold of me,
my head suddenly above the level,
but I still struggled to breathe,
while my thoughts totally dishevelled.
My back was on the ground,
as the noon sun hit my eyes,
coughing loudly feeling highly nauseous,
while people instructed, being wise.

I now laugh about it,
knowing that stuff happens,
my life had almost gone that day,
then again, thanks to my friends.
I've been asked if I can really swim,
it's been some tough resistance,
but I'll tell them once and for all,
"Not long, only short distance."

No comments:

Post a Comment